With the festive season now upon us, we would once again like to call on the immense generosity of our supporters as we launch our 2014 Christmas Appeal.
The work of the Sri Lanka Campaign relies heavily on individual donations – donations from people like you. Without them, we simply could not do what we do. And with 2015 looking to be a crucial year for peace and accountability in Sri Lanka – with both upcoming elections and the impending publication of the international investigation into war-time violations at the Human Rights Council in March – we need your help more than ever.
The money you give enables us to campaign even more effectively – to shed light on the war-time and ongoing violations in Sri Lanka, counter the lies and disinformation peddled by the regime, and support Sri Lankan civil society in its struggle for peace and justice.
The generosity of our supporters has meant that we are able to claim some major achievements in 2014. This year alone we:
- Helped secure a UN Human Rights Council mandated international investigation into war crimes in Sri Lanka
- Published a major opinion-forming report featuring allegations of ongoing crimes against humanity in the North of the Sri Lanka
- Commissioned a report using cutting-edge satellite image analysis to challenge the Sri Lankan army’s lies about how stolen land in the North is being used
- Helped secure the release of detained human rights activist Ruki Fernando and Fr Praveen, and launched an international solidarity campaign with jailed mother of the disappeared Jeyakumari Balendran
- Launched a major campaign around the Sexual Violence Conference forcing the Foreign Secretary to commit to taking action on Sri Lanka
- Re-launched our Ethical Tourism Campaign to ensure that war criminals are deprived of the profits from tourism in Sri Lanka
The suggested donation for this year’s Christmas Appeal is £10, but please feel free to give as much or as little as you can afford. You can make this donation as a one-off, or alternately, you can help us campaign even more effectively by setting up a regular monthly donation. We accept PayPal, so it’s easy, quick, safe, and anonymous. Just click here to see all the options for giving. And because we are small, the money you give really does make the difference.
Finally, we are today launching the official Sri Lanka Campaign shop featuring a variety of cool new campaign clothing items and accessories – ideal Christmas gifts for that friend or family member who is passionate about human rights in Sri Lanka. 30% of the total cost of all products sold go directly to the campaign, so please have a browse today and support us while you shop.
Thank you so much again for your continued support. You make our work possible.