A message from our chair:

Dear friend,

For two years I have been chairing a campaign to get more international attention for the appalling events of 2009 and the continuing human rights abuses in Sri Lanka. Yet even I felt I had not fully realized or believed in their full horror until I saw Channel 4’s film “Sri Lanka’s Killing Fields” (click the link to watch online). But this vital film might not be globally available online for much longer.

Part of the reason the documentary is doing so much good is because so many people are able to see it for free, online, all over the world. But it is not clear for how much longer this will be the case. After the 30th of August it is not at all clear if it will remain globally accessible online.

With your help we can make sure as many people as possible see it before then. The film has really helped open a lot of eyes that were previously closed. Many people, myself included, who work on Sri Lanka have noted how helpful, indeed crucial, it has been, and how much easier our lobbying, awareness raising, and advocacy work has become now the truth is out there.

The documentary has been to Geneva where it had ambassadors in tears, it has been to Capitol Hill where it seems to be improving the USA’s stance on Sri Lanka, and it was seen by a million people in the UK and 270,000 others in thirty different countries in its first week alone. Since then it has been shown on Australia ABC’s 4 Corners.

It is therefore vitally important that we make sure as many people around the world see it before if it is no longer available (if, as seems likely, that does end up being the case).

We need to launch an urgent campaign to make sure as many people as possible see the video before it goes offline. We need £5,000 over the next few weeks to launch the campaign[1]. Please help expose what happened in Sri Lanka’s killing fields. Make a secure donation now:

You can donate here using our secure paypal page.

Donations will be spent [2] on intelligent, targeted online adverts to make sure the documentary is watched by as many people as possible. We have commissioned the best digital campaigning experts to advise us how to do this, they tell us that this money will mean that thousands more people around the world see the documentary and are inspired by its message. The more you give the more people will see it – each pound will lead another handful of people to the film.

Please make a secure donation now – and help sound the alarm about Sri Lanka’s killing fields.

Please give whatever you can afford. Together your money, Channel 4’s documentary, and our campaign can bring reconciliation and lasting peace to Sri Lanka.

All the best,

Edward Mortimer
Chair, the Sri Lanka Campaign for Peace and Justice

P.S. The success of our campaign so far has been due to the way in which our supporters have been so good at encouraging their friends and family to join in. Please do pass this message on to people who might be interested, and please do ask them to join our mailing list . You can join by filling in your details here: http://mailman-new.greennet.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/srilankacampaign

[1] Or an equivalent in $, Rs or anything else. We accept payments from 190 countries; When you press this button you will be taken to a secure page hosted by Paypal but you do not need a Paypal account to donate – just a credit or debit card.

[2] All donations will be spent in line with our donations policy: If we are unable to use your contribution for the purpose you specify, either because of oversubscription or for another unforeseen reason, it is our policy to use your contribution to support further campaigning in the area concerned or other critical global campaigns. Approximately 85% of funds donated to the Sri Lanka Campaign goes directly into campaigning. The other 15% goes to important organizational needs like management, fundraising, legal advice, accounting support, and infrastructure – all of which are vital to effective campaigning.